Leading policy experts from 14 universities across the UK, have joined together, expressing their concerns over those currently excluded from the government business support schemes during the on-going pandemic.
The group, which includes Professor Julia Rouse from Manchester Met, have written a letter to MP's proposing a number of policy changes that urge ministers to address the gaps in support.
Some of these recommendations are:
* Amending the JRS, so company directors are permitted to furlough themselves but continue to work
* Alternatively a monthly stipend of £1,000 to compensate for lost dividends to working Directors who take part of their income as PAYE
* Asking HM Treasury to assess eligibility on the 2019-20 Self-Assessment returns and backdate payments for those who commenced SE after April 2019
* Eligibility for the SEISS for the self-employed earning over £50,000 could be capped, rather than making them ineligible for any support
* Devising an evidence-led threshold for those who earned less than 50% of their income from self-employment, which avoids unfair disadvantage to those for whom self-employment is a vital part of their work portfolio
These recommendations make up a package of amendments which aim to make financial support fairer for all self-employed, SMEs, directors, freelancers and contractors who are crucial to the success of the economy.
ExcludedUK is a non profit grassroots NGO founded to provide a platform for those denied fair and adequate financial support from the Governments COVID-19 Support schemes since the pandemic began in March. With a community of over 60,000 members across all industries, age groups and regions, we estimate that three million UK tax payers have been excluded from the same support as others, which has lead to thousands of people losing their livelihoods, careers, and homes, and sadly, for some, their lives.
ExcludedUK has been fundraising to provide urgent help and support for those affected in the forms of business and career advice, debt support and 121 counselling sessions within 48 hours. Please find more information on our website www.excludeduk.org.